Saturday, February 19, 2005

Chicago travel~~!!

After all our classes were finished last chursday, we went to the Amtrak station. We had roung trip tickets reserved already, so we waited for the train. The train had two floors. The first floor was for old and handicapped people. Since I've came here, I've been surprised at facilites for handicapped person like automatic doors. Anyway, we got our seats were on the second floor. It took more than 5 hours to het to Chicago. As we got closer to Chicago, I was many tall buildings although it was dim and dark. At last, we arrived at Union station in Chicago and went to our hostel, asking some people how to het hthere. As soon as we hot to there, we slpet.The next day, it was our first day in Chicago. We separated into 3 groups. One group reserved another hotel, and the rest of us reserved the same hotel. Actually, we just booked one room to save money. That room had a double sized bads. So 6 people, including me, were scheduled to sleep together. We rewe looking for the hotel, looking at a map. We hot there. In fact, it was just for one block from the hostel we stayed at yesterday. So we checked in and then dropped off our baggage.At that point, our trip started. 2 groups were seperated with an appointment to meet together at the entrance of the John Hancock Center at 6:00 pm. Our group focused on like museums or art insititutions. We couldgo to the Art Institue of Chicago by foot,because our hotel was around the Loop area. Many buildings were together in the Loop. So we decided to walk. On the way to the Art Insititute, we saw a lot of tall buildings. What a surprise. We bought tichets and entered. There were many famous pictures I learined about when I was in art class in high school. I was impressed, especially by Van Gogh's and Monet't pictures. I felt marvelous. It was a live education that I've always dreamed of. On the first floor, there was a room for Korean collections. Because we are Korean, I felt weird. Actually things exhibited that I saw were rare i korea, too. But, how can they be here? We couldn't see all of them. I thinkit would require at least one day to see all of them. As we had a schedule, we came out from there.Next we went to Adler Planetarium. We had the discount discount ticket we bought in the youth hostel. So we cut off 20% of fee. I thought it was worse than I expected. It's for children. But I couldn't help it becasus We'd alredy paid the fee.It was warm. no, hot inside the building. I took off my scarf, gloves, and coat. After we went around everywhere, when we were about to go out, I put them on one by one. But I couldn't find my gloves!! After all I came out withought the gloves. I gave up. My hands seemed frozen because I was using a tripod to take good pictures. The next place we went was Shedd Aquarium. At the front of the entrance, there was a BIG FISH statue! BIG FISH.. I'm learning about that in a school now!! I was glad to see it. When we entered the aquarium, the time was passing 3:30 pm. As we know, it closes at 5:00pm. Entrance fee was 23$. so we didn't have much time to enjoy it. Se we gave it up and planned to come back tomorrow or a couple of days after. To keep the promise, we were going to go to Michigan Avenue, so we decided to get on the CTA bus and got off at the Tribun tower. WOW! There were many tall and beatiful buildings. Around there, including NBC broadcasting TV station which I sometime watch in our country and the Wrigley building which is named for the most famous and popular chewing gum.We walked by the John Hancock Center, looking at other buildings. At about 6o'clock, both groups met! We were about to have dinner together. The dinner mune was Chicago pizza which is famous for stuffed pizza. We hot there. However, many people were already waiting. We also waited for 40 minutes. At last, it was our turn. We entered and ordered the most popular pizza. I was very surprised. I've never seen it!! It was very stuffed adn tasted very delicious!! We told each other about what we did that day and which place was good, things like that.After we ate, we went to the top of the John Hancock Center. We got on the elevator, then went up. While it was going up, my ears felt something weird. It's the same whenever I go to a high place. For a short time, I felt that. Anyway at the Observatory, we could see the Chicago night scene!! It was soooooo cool!! The weather was also perfect. so we could see better than any other days. I could see all of Chicago at once. It was too beatiful. I took a lot of pictures there. I'll remember it forever and can't forget my first day in Chicago.
Juhyoung Kim